Self-Development Resources

I am a firm believer that investing in one’s self is the path to growth and to living a rich life.

And by Rich Life, sure money is involved, but what I really mean is living a life full of productivity, purpose, meaning, and giving back – as opposed to being a self-centered parasite of society.

There are enough of those.

To that end, I consume a lot of books/content on self-development in addition to trying to learn anything I can, whenever I can, wherever I am. Here are a few resources that I found influential, helpful, and worth sharing.

~~~

  • Finances

I Will Teach You To Be Rich – Ramit Sethi. Life-changing book on personal finance aimed at twenty-somethings. I’m afollower of his blog, too, and have paid him for online courses such as Earn1K and Ramit’s Brain Trust.

  • Productivity

Getting Everything You Can Out Of All You’ve Got – Jay Abraham talks about showing “…how to get ahead by treating bosses and clients as valued friends; find better and more exciting ways of doing things; develop “unique selling propositions”; persuade people to follow your lead; master the art of selling on the telephone; craft a formal referral system; sell on the Internet; and forge strong, established business relationships.”

Getting Things Done – David Allen. Mostly geared towards CEO’s and business owners, but there’re a number of tips useful for most people.

The 4-Hour Work Week – Timothy Ferriss. This book is for Type-A personalities, of which I am not, but found inspiring and useful nonetheless. Productivity, priority/goal -setting, and techniques and tools that guide readers to becoming the “New Rich.”

The First 20 Hours: How To Learn Anything…Fast! – Josh Kaufmen. This book is about skill acquisition as opposed to knowledge learn’age. The first, say, 20% of the book contains the actual strategy and methods (none of which are really new, but it’s useful to someone who otherwise has no plan for acquiring a certain skill), while the remaining 80% are case studies of Josh’s own experience, learning six various unrelated skills.

  • Philosophy/Society

How to Win Friends and Influence People – Dale Carnegie. A little dated, but fun nonetheless, and I retain some of the simple things learned from it years after reading it. Much of what’s written here I found, personally, to be inherent, but it’s useful for anyone who really has difficulty with social interaction. I used it mostly for character development.

Tribes – Seth Godin. Simple book about leadership; how there is a drastic shortage of leaders in our world, and everyone has the potential to become one. You aren’t born with initiative, you have to take it.

Religion For Atheists – Alain de Botton. Botton is one of the most intelligent philosophers I’ve ever read; this book is about what we Atheists can learn (and appreciate) from religion in a modern world. It’s a very positive, uplifting work, from which I took away a few great ideas.

Mark Manson – continues to dispense some of the most down to earth and insightful advice on more than a handful of topics. Ranging from dating and career paths to psychological hangups that prevent us from being happy and travel advice, Manson has a lot to say, and his website is pretty slick. Whenever I read any of his articles, I always want to run off and share it with someone.

More As I Come Across Them Or Remember Them…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s